HELP OTHERS, MAKE A
DIFFERENCE, SAVE A LIFE.
The McNabb Center is the
region's leading nonprofit provider of mental health, substance use, social and
victim services. By focusing on an individual's "Well Mind, Well
Being," we provide a quality and compassionate approach to care from
infancy through adulthood.
Do you see yourself as a
part of this life-changing work? If so, we are currently seeking a qualified
and motivated professional for the following position: Special
Education Teacher for Gateway and Katie Miller Program
SUMMARY - Residential
Special Education Teacher
The Special Education
Teacher will be responsible for:
- Individual educational needs of the clients at Gateway
Academy and Katie Miller including the special needs of students
identified with Special Education certification and students with 504
- Developing lesson plans
- Delegating tasks to the assistants
- Reporting progress to the Program Coordinator.
- Participating in treatment planning for the residents
and utilizing the behavioral system employed.
- Meeting or exceeding the expectations of DCS /
Department of Education requirements to maintain school
- Acting as the Educational Liaison which requires the
completion of education reports as well as communication with the liaison
persons in the schools of the community as directed by the
Interdepartmental Agreement between the Department of Children's Services
and the Department of Education.
COMPENSATION: Starting salary for this position is
approximately $47,366 /yr with relevant experience and education.
Residential Special Education Teacher
Education/Knowledge: Possess a teaching certificate in the state of
Tennessee with a current special education certificate.
- Working with children/youth/families.
- Prefer residential experience or exposure via
- Understanding the educational expectations of DCS/DOE
and Title I/TACF.
- Experience in a clinical setting.
Abilities / Skills:
- Must be able to lead students, staff effectively and
utilize resources properly.
- Must be able to make sound judgment and utilize
- Must be able to contribute to the therapeutic
environment and provide feedback regarding the client's progress.
- Ability to relate to individuals and families of varied
ethnic and cultural backgrounds, ages, educational levels, and economic
circumstances with respect and dignity.
- Excellent verbal, written, and computer skills are
necessary in order to work effectively and collaboratively with clients,
collaborating agencies, and community professionals, as well as
maintaining proper documentation.
- Clinical staff members must possess reliable transportation,
the ability to acquire an F endorsement on driver's license, and transport
- Must be capable of driving clients to and from
appointments, outing and other transportation needs.
- Hearing of normal and soft tones as well as close eye
- Lifting up to 50 lbs.
- Pushing/pulling up to 150 lbs.
- Frequent sitting, standing, walking, bending, stooping,
- To ensure the safety of the clients and staff, this
position requires certification in and adequate implementation of verbal
and physical de-escalation techniques (Handle with Care) that
include a wide range of bodily movements including but not limited to
grasping, holding another person, going down on knees, running, and
The McNabb Center (www.mcnabbcenter.org)
is a premier not-for-profit provider of behavioral health services. The
Center provides quality care and serves all ages in a continuum of prevention,
early intervention, social, co-occurring, addiction, outpatient, and crisis
MC is an EOE. MC
conducts background checks, driver's license record, degree verification, and
drug screens at hire. Employment is contingent upon clean drug screen,
background check, and driving record. Additionally, certain programs are
subject to TB Screening and/or testing. Bilingual applicants are
encouraged to apply.
This job description is
not intended to be all-inclusive; and employee will also perform other
reasonably related job responsibilities as assigned by immediate supervisor and
other management as required. This organization reserves the right to
revise or change job duties as the need arises. Moreover, management
reserves the right to change job descriptions, job duties, or working schedules
based on their duty to accommodate individuals with disabilities. This
job description does not constitute a written or implied contract of